“Somebody described our comedy shows as going to Chippendales because it’s so rowdy. These women don’t want to leave.” – Mona Shaikh
Today I interviewed Mona Shaikh.
Mona Shaikh is a stand-up comedian, host, emcee and producer of Minority Reportz. She most recently emcee’d the Women’s March in SF in Jan 2019 and made history by being the first South Asian/Middle Eastern Female Comedian to perform in front of over 50,000 people! She’s been featured in LA Times, Newsweek, The Guardian, LA Weekly, New York Post, Huffington Post, Washington Post and BBC. She can also be seen regularly on The Young Turks, The Stephanie Miller Show on SiriusXM and Mo’Kelly Show on IHeartRadio. Mona has also headlined in Dubai, Portugal as well as London. In addition to being seen all around Los Angeles at major comedy clubs as The Comedy Store, Flappers Comedy Club, The Laugh Factory, Ice House Pasadena, Hollywood Improv and many more, she hosted the Hollywood Improv for Comedy Juice night with Dane Cook. She became the first Pakistani female Comedian to be selected for the Laugh’s Factory Funniest Person in the World Competition and made history by becoming the first Pakistani female Comedian to headline Hollywood Improv.
In this episode we speak about:
- How Mona creates an environment for diverse communities through her Minority Reportz shows.
- How Minority Reportz was covered by Hustler Magazine and was going to be the 2020 official comedy show of LA Pride.
- How a lack of diversity on stages and screens creates a ripple effect in performers career and life.
And then Melania asks a question, which escalates to Mona and I going on a rant that might get us death threats.
To catch up with our guest:
- Buy her album Shaikh It Off on Amazon, Spotify, and Apple Music
- Twitter and Instagram @monacomedy
- Watch Mona’s Daily Rants on YouTube: MonaShaikhComedian